Saturday, November 24, 2007

Love it or leave it?


To those who have conveyed to me the sentiment “America, love it or leave it.” I say, “I agree” and “I do”. It’s my country. I love it. I love the ideals of America. I love the hope and promise of America. I love America.

I love America so much that I refuse to sit idly by and watch as some – professing a perverse patriotism – attempt to dismantle the very foundations of America. I love the America that was formed to promote ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’; the America that was formed ‘of the people, by the people, and for the people’; land of the free and home of the brave.

I love the America that prompted men to rise up and say, with sincerity and conviction, ‘Give me liberty or give me death’. I love the America that stood, proudly, for justice and equality, and freedom; freedom to speak your mind, and freedom to act.

I love America.

I resent those that would pervert America for their own personal gain or benefit, or partisan interest. I resent those that would try to weaken America through fear or manipulation or dictate. I resent those that would attempt labeling those that dissent – not only a right but a duty of all citizens – as un-American or unpatriotic. I resent those that, through apathy or indifference or sheer laziness or ignorance, allow others to minimize, subvert, or destroy the rights and freedoms guaranteed to each citizen – regardless of race, creed, color, or anything else - under the Constitution; the Constitution that so many of our forefathers have fought and died to defend.

I love America.

When I look at our flag I cannot help but feel a sense of pride. Within that cloth of stars and stripes I see my Uncle who was in the second wave of troops to land on Omaha Beach; I see my Father who, at 17 years of age, sailed off to war; I see my Brothers who continued that tradition of military service, enlisting during a time of war; I see those that served with me as well, young men from across America who willingly took an oath to ‘defend the Constitution against enemies both foreign and domestic’. And I see those who did not serve militarily but at home, ensuring that America continued to function. In short, I see Americans; men and women who come from strong stock, from ancestors who cherished freedom and justice and would never bow their heads to any dictatorship, whether at home or abroad. What I do not see when I look at our flag is buildings and offices and bureaucracies and committees. I do not see political parties, secret agendas, corporate interests, political action groups, or politicians. Nor do I see those that violate and betray the decency of our country and its citizenry by abusing others.

America, love it or leave it? I’m here for the duration. Let King George know.

1 comment:

M.O.E.C.A.S.H.™ said...

FINALLY, An American who is PROUD to be American, but who has NOT Forgotten The Fundamentals (and Ideals) on which America Was Founded On.

Thank you for demonstrating that being a True American means Upholding the Constitution as well as the Virtues of Freedom, Liberty & Equality. Unless more Americans wake up & realize what is happening around them will get worse if nothing is done, the country will get politically 'abducted' and all of its Core Principles based on 'for the people, by the people' gradually dismantled... I would hate to see that happen.

AMERICA BELONGS TO THE AMERICANS, NOT GREEDY PUPPETS OF EVIL SUCKING UP EARTH'S RESOURCES, SELFISHLY DESTROYING THIS LAND WE ALL BELONG TO AND MUST CHERISH.